Sunday, June 28, 2009

To Thee Alpha Delta

First and foremost, congratulations to the incredible women who were elected and reelected on Friday to serve on Grand Council for the 2009-2011 biennium. We are proud and honored to have you lead Alpha Delta Pi.

Before dinner on Friday night, the collegians and alumnae (reminder: “ah-lum-knee”) whose organizations achieved Diamond 4-Point gathered for photos. This award was one my chapter always strived for but did not achieve while I was a collegian, so I was incredibly proud to accept the Diamond 4-Point award on behalf of my
alumnae association. As the chapter presidents gathered for their Diamond 4-Point picture, I watched with pride and amazement at how many groups reached this goal.

The other amazing part of Friday was the Alumnae and Old Timers Dinner. Since this was my first Convention, I didn’t quite understand the hubbub about this event until I saw it for myself. What was truly incredible about this dinner was to hear about the decades of service given to ADPi by the alumnae who were honored. I was especially proud to know one of the award recipients personally (congratulations Pat Evans, our beloved Technology Committee Chair). The incredible dedication of the women who were honored is a tribute to the everlasting ties of sisterhood we have.

Even more incredible was the Diamond Awards Banquet on Saturday night. As a first-time Convention attendee (yes, I sat down very early in the Convention Song on Friday), I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect. The parade of Golden Lion Award flags and display of silver awards onstage set the tone for an exciting night. As we progressed from the Achievement Awards to the Excellence Awards, the cheers grew. I was surprised and proud to be recognized for the Achievement Award, as well, on behalf of my alumnae association. The evening progressed and alumnae and advisors alike joined their sisters as the Stanard Leadership Awards were announced. Finally, we reached the award of all awards: the Maxine Blake Golden Lion Award. How exciting for the chapters who achieved this prestigious award which requires an astounding six years of hard work, excellence, and achievement! The evening closed with chapter roll, a friendship circle featuring favorite ADPi songs, and a Midnight Madness sale at Gift Mart.

It has been an exciting and exhausting week. I am, however, looking forward to returning home to get a jump start on the many great ideas we’ve gathered and share our pride of the Diamond 4-Point and Achievement Awards with our fellow alumnae in Washington, DC! Thank you to all of the sisters who spent this week with us and made my first Convention very memorable. I look forward to many more and perhaps someday being the last one standing at the Old Timers Dinner!

Sarah, Greater Washington DC Alumnae Association

No comments:

Post a Comment