Sunday, June 28, 2009

"We experience the closeness only sisters can know."

While sitting at the airport this morning, I am reflecting upon my experiences at Convention and most prominently is the events of last nights dinner and how it has truly touched my life.

Yesterday began with a ritual review session open to all members of Convention. The time was very informative and it is always a pleasure to watch grand council perform our sacred ritual. We then went straight into a speaker on responsibility and not being a bystander. The speaker helped to empower us all to take action in our lives whether it be within our chapters, families, or any circumstance.

Following the speaker we had a Panhellenic luncheon led by Katherine Petty Gottard. The luncheon was such a great display of our pride in being members of Panhellenic and the 100th anniversary of our membership in NPC. There was a parade of flags displaying each sorority which were members of NPC and a speaker from the NPC council who was a member of Delta Delta Delta. The luncheon proved to me even further why it is so important to have good Panhellenic relations. We are a strong organization as Alpha Delta Pi's but we are even stronger as members of the National Panhellenic Conference.

Following lunch there were several workshops available for Convention members to attend at their will. I chose as my first workshop to attend the TME session. This session helped me to reinforce the ideals and goals we strive for as a chapter. All of the TME session directors were very informative and passionate about relaying to us the importance of a strong TME program in our chapters.

I chose for my second workshop the recruitment marketing session. Having not directly worked with recruitment, this session was very informative. The directors explained how Alpha Delta Pi was a brand we need to protect and advertise whenever we have the chance. They spoke about methods of good "advertising" for our "brand" and I learned so much that I plan on taking back to my chapter in using to recruitment new women. After the workshops there was a break for a few hours before the final dinner that night. Some women enjoyed time by the pool while others headed off to their rooms for a nap.

With evening gowns, curled hair, and lots of eye shadow the main ballroom began to fill just as the hour approached 7pm. Members sat with their respective providence's. The dinner was a beautiful event. From the entrance of grand council and the beautiful display they sat in front of to the parade of golden lion chapters and light music, everything was perfect. There were so many special moments were the love of Alpha Delta Pi was without a doubt moving through everyone in the room. Toasting, the last call of the chapters and the thanking of Mrs.Gawltney for her dedication during Convention were among the many moving seconds we all experienced.

Perhaps some of the most thrilling moments during the final dinner was the announcement of awards. I came to Convention in the hopes that my chapter would receive the Stanard Award. At the 2007 Convention our chapter was up for golden lion and at the last moment there was one requirement we did not meet that kept us from receiving this award. Our dreams were crushed. Also during this year our previous Stanard Award reached its 6 year mark and we were no longer eligible for Golden Lion until we received the Stanard Award again.

The award presentations began with the giving of house corporation and alumnae awards. I sat anxiously, tapping my feet and shoulders clenched as I waited very impatiently. Then they began the chapter awards. First up was the Chapter Achievement Award. The names were called and each time the first word was Zeta, I became nervous. I sat straight up on the edge of my chair and clapped as each chapter was announced. They congratulated the final chapter receiving the Achievement Award and I relaxed for a moment. Next was the Chapter Excellence Award. I became even more nervous with the calling of this award because I knew this was the make or break point. I would be happy if we won Chapter Excellence because it is a wonderful achievement but I knew that if we did not win this award then there was a good chance for the Stanard award. As the chapter names were read I was counting the number of awards they still had to give away based on the amount of the silver pieces left. I waited and waited and waited for what felt like forever while they called names. And once again my heart jumped with each chapter that began with Zeta. When they called the final name and it was not my chapter, I looked to my advisor and providence director and smiled. I was hopefully and scared. Scared that we had not achieved any award at all and hopeful I was wrong.

They began to announce the names for the Stanard Award. I could see there were few silver plates being held by the district team directors and I became nervous. With my stomach dropped to an all time low I held by breath with each name called. "Zeta Psi, University of North Carolina at Greensboro!" They had said my chapter, my school! My advisor and I walked proudly to the front to accept the award and I was over come with pride and excitement. We had made our goal and not only was this a symbol of our hard word and dedication over many years but it was also an opportunity for the future for our chapter to once again have a shot at our first Golden Lion.

The winners of Golden Lion were then announced and we were very proud to have a chapter from our district- Middle Tennessee State University- receive this award for the first time.

With an array of pride, excitement, feelings of accomplishment and sincere gratitude I headed toward my room at the closing of the final dinner. This week has shown me the love that exist much deeper and long lasting than any other love I have known. The love of Alpha Delta Pi and the sisterhood I witnessed this week has forever changed my life. I cannot imagine my life now without Alpha Delta Pi. Having met some of the strongest most dedicated women I have ever had the pleasure to know, has called me to remember my sisterhood at home and how one day we will be alumnae. One day we will be wiser and well spoken. One day we will inspire others and have hilarious stories to tell. One day we will be what helps Alpha Delta Pi survive. Hopefully, one day we will be as lucky as those before us.

I wish you all safe travels home and I look forward to attending 21 Conventions myself one day!

Loyally,
Courtney, Zeta Psi Chapter President

No comments:

Post a Comment