Thursday, June 25, 2009

Walking toward History

Today, I would have to say, has been an amazing day. I really didn't know what to expect coming to Convention but it was the first thing I thought of when I was elected president. I knew I would have the opprotunity to come. Having been to districts and IMPACT, I had a small idea of how ADPi gatherings work, but I really had no idea about the experience I would gain here in Florida. I am only half way through this journey but the time I have spend in Convention so far has been amazing. I have truely enjoyed my time here in Orlando.

Its always a pleasure to stay in a nice hotel, have someone else clean your room and be served at almost every meal. But these are not the experiences that have been making my stay here in Orlando so amazing. What has been making this trip truely amazing is the history, pride, sisterhood and loyalty I can see in everyone here, everyday.

Today I had a funny expereience with the meaning "we live for each other." This morning, after only 5 hours of sleep, I pulled myself out of the bed. After showering and getting ready I was was at the final stages of preparing for the processional this morning. The processional is the event that I had been looking forward to the most out of this weekend. Being able to carry my chapter flag and represent Zeta Psi at the 168th Alpha Delta Pi Convention raised a great pride and joy into my heart. So with this pride I proceeded with getting myself ready this morning. I put on my freshly bought white dress. A dress that made me feel beautiful. I knew the moment I saw it that it was the one I would have to wear while carring my chapter flag. The only problem was, it wouldnt zip up all the way. This was not due to its improper fitting or a broken zipper. It just simply, would not zip. So time is rolling by, I am zipping the zipper up and zipping the zipper down with no luck. I called my advisor in a panic frenzie. As I started to sweat and really freak out, I knew I would be really mad at this "perfect dress" that I "had to have" if the zipper would be what stood between me and the processional. My advisor and another chapter advisor came to my room to resue me. After about 15 minutes and a few new ideas we managed to get the dress zipped and on! In that order! I cannot thank them enough for helping me. The processional was worth every bit of creativity we used this morning.

Walking into the offical start of Convention this morning, in an all white dress with white shoes, I felt honored. Sometimes as a president, people dont always see just how hard you work. And as a president, you know that its not important that they know everything you do for your chapter. But at that moment, I felt my hard word and dedication to Alpha Delta Pi was being recognized by everyone in that room. I felt honored, proud, encouraged and uplifted. The spirit in the room nearly brought me to tears by the time I took my seat. I am lucky to be a part of such an amazing organization and I knew this more than ever as I walked with my flag.

The history and pride in our past is so evident here at Convention. I believe this may also have been why I felt so uplifted this morning. Knowing that thousands of young women have passed through this outstanding organization and only handfuls had experienced such a beautiful ceremony as this. Just thinking of the Adelpheans in their white dresses announcing the creation of the first sceret society for women connected me more to Alpha Delta Pi's past than ever before.

Courtney, Zeta Psi President

1 comment:

  1. Courtney I can't think of anyone else I'd rather have representing Zeta Psi! I'm so proud of you, and wardrobe malfunctions always happen at the WORST times. (its like a rule or something) Glad it worked out, Miss you, Have fun and be safe! gill

    ReplyDelete