Thursday, June 25, 2009

We Laugh and Live for Each Other

Said in the invocation for the formal opening, the subject line became a living statement for me last night at the end of the processional practice. Originally scheduled to end at 11:15, practice had turned into a very typical ADPi event (at least at my chapter): late. It was 11:45, we were tired, and we had to be back, in our places and ready to go by 7:15 this morning. With any other group of women, there would have been complaining, grumbling and I would have been cranky and ready to get to bed, but last night, just as we finished practicing our processional, our fearless leader stood up to give us updates. I don't remember exactly what she said, but whatever it was, it made me laugh. And immediately I thought: you know, sometimes meetings can get long, practices can be tedious, but these woemn that I call sisters make everything worth it. We truly do laugh and live for each other.

I've had the same feeling over and over again today, throughout the flag processional, the business meeting, the luncheon, and District Caucauses. The day started early, with the chapter presidents gathering outside the business hall at 7:15 for the Flag Processional. Dressed in all white, with our blue ribands, we turned the hallway into a bustling breakfast room, last minute make-up powderroom and, of course, a talking zone. Once the Processional started though, I understood why this is such an honored part of Convention. I'm lucky enough to be from a single-letter chapter, and as I turned into the row of flags for my walk to the business hall, I was struck by how many colleges, campuses, and women the flags represented. It's easy sometimes to forget that by joining Alpha Delta Pi, you join an organization much bigger than your chapter; but it's hard to forget that once you've participated in the Flag Processional. If you get a chance, you should look at the pictures from this morning, taken by the Alphaean photographer.

After the formal opening, we all filed out to the lobby for the convention photograph, where we quickly attracted the attention of most of the other hotel guests. We even became one families morning entertainment as the mother, father, grandmother, daughter, brother AND baby all came out onto their balcony to wave hello.

The highlight of my day, though, came at lunchtime, as we had the opportunity to learn from Ainsley Earhardt, the Foundation's Keynote Speaker. Ainsley shared memories from her time in college, but more importantly, how the lessons she learned as an ADPi have helped her in her life as a journalist. She stressed to us the importance of being yourself and finding your personal passions in life. I was struck by her wisdom, humor and her comfort with herself. And her pride in being an Alpha Delta Pi.

Alyssa, chapter president, Omicron

No comments:

Post a Comment